ACTION MEETING FOR ALL MEMBERS

There are quite a lot of things to be sorted and all up against a tight deadline.Therefore I am calling a meeting of all members for the 27th April 2018 at 7.30 pm.The second only meeting in our associations history.The location has yet to be decided and for security /anti troll reasons I  will contact each member  privately closer to the time. The two members who are encountering problems with their council will be meeting our friendly solicitor and myself from 5 pm on before hand. For the two members affected Please bring all documents ,media clippings ,old pictures which can be verified independently,old letters of permission, old letters from past council managers,old maps ,and details of the previous landowners ,and letters of granting conditions ,who granted their lands to the people ,which is being managed by the council.If any other member who has been affected but has not declared so ,they should also come along with all relevant documents and details.Our kindly solicitior will look at everything and give you his interpretation of your legal position .

later on in the meeting the affected members will address the association for roughly half an hour on these issues, and they are also seeking some car drivers help as they need transport for bringing metal detectorists to the polling stations where they live in the upcoming local elections next month.Ive been told about 15 people in two wards ,will need transport as they have difficulty getting to their polling stations.

we also have to make our decision about our final choice for our free to use association metal detector.Currently  five machines are the most popular.Some members also want to discuss the countries of origion and ownership and shareholders within these companies

we also have to discuss corrsepondance from each of the companies who manafacture the machines ,from the trade unions in the regions of origion of the machines.

we also need to get our finances sorted before  predicted post Brexit prices increase. Hopefully some generous individual or individuals will make up the shortfall,and we also have to choose which vendor to purchase the final machine choice from.

a discussion will have to take place on new revised aspects of the Portable Antiquities scheme ,which I believe is causing problems for other Organisations and metal Detecting Clubs.

so it’s very important for every member to attend as there are so many important issues to decide

sincerely John Potts

association Spokesperson

Advertisements

2017 A GOOD YEAR ,BUT A LOT TO DO GOING FORWARD!

The annual job of preparing the membership cards is great for reminding me that I have to do the year of end review.Just to let you know that all the cards are done for this year ahead.Again please keep them on you ready for inspection when on the club land ,and please make sure to inform me if you get or change any new machine or pinpointer.2017 has been a good year with great weather for detecting ,actually too good as all the crops were in at least a month early.Were so lucky we have our free club land to go to ,a big thank you to the landowner

.Also thanks goes out to Linda for keeping our free magazine going for another year .But do be warned she is thinking of reducing it to one publication from 2019 onwards .So no sticky fingers please and do keep passing the magazines around.Members will have a say In the decision  I have been informed !.

We also wish to thank other organisations who dispose safely all the hazardous materials such as sharps batteries  etc for us that we remove off public  and private lands in great quantities for us.

Its very nice to recieve positive feedback and I’d just like to let you all know that ive heard back from a charity to say that they raised £150 from the sale of old coins / keys  ,that we  helped contributed towards.Now a lot of people would say that’s not much  but you have to remember the sheer volume of coins and Keys that would have needed to be donated to achieve this  amount,and also religious attendance is at an all time low and the plate collections  are plummeting ,so these sort of  fundraising events will become more important going forward in the future.We in the association are very keen to ensure that charities which positively support our lovely hobby continue to recieve the help of detectorists all over Derbyshire

I also wish to thank the members who took part in the working group set up to see if a schools metal detecting scheme  was feasible for Derbyshire .I shall avoid the landlords of the various pubs  where you met as I heard they were disapointed in that you talked more than you drank.!

We also wish to thank other clubs and independent detectors for observing our 2017 solemn commeration and we wish to announce that the 2018 Commeration weekend will take place from the 22-24 th June all over Derbyshire We respectfully invite all other detectorists to observe this commeration when we  all take time out from our lovely hobby to remember  the victims many of whom were from Derbyshire .We do have to be a bit careful of how we advertise this commeration  this year .I can’t really say much but everyone knows what happened .

We would be so pleased and also I’m sure that the families of the victims and survivors would be so grateful if all detectorists observed this years commeration like they did last years one

Our free to use 25 ANNIVERSERY club machine fund is ever so slowly moving along.Its perhaps the most visible sign of brexit as people tighten their belts .The total has crept up to £645.95 .We do need to take action here as I’ve heard a lot of talk about metal detectors increasing in price after brexit by 10 -25 % .Likely excuses that will be put forward  by retailers and manafacturers for this will be tariffs ,import duties ….and the weakness of the pound!.I think we might need to borrow forward from some generous person and get our machine sorted before this happens .Urgent feedback from members needed on this one please .

And talking about our club machine ,thankfully at long last all members have submitted their choices .Praise be to the Lord !.In all 35 machine choices were submitted !.When I am giving everyone their membership cards I will include this list and asking them to whittle this down to five machine choices ,and not to take all year about it either!.I will be contacting Trade Union representatives in the areas for the various manafacturers to see what way the employees are being treated and about the manafacturing process and the environment.Please do not base your choices on online videos as sooo many posters have been nobbled by vested interests!

Detecting in Derbshire is holding its own compared to many other historical societies and traditional hobbies .I think one new club has been formed in the county ,and I’ve heard of one club  which I thought had ceased  but had actually went under the radar post p.a.s ,and  is still in existence.So at the moment there are 9 or 10 active clubs based in or come into Derbyshire to detect .We still feel in the association that our lovely hobby is heading in the wrong  direction.This year huge detecting rallies have been held in the uk  with much fanfare and  with “celebrity” detectorists ! .Traditional  detectorists clubs and asociations are finding it difficult in retaining /gaining permissions because of these rallies and the amounts of money involved .Where allowed we will work closely with HMRC and local government to ensure that large rallies don’t start occurring in Derbyshire .

One very good thing that did happen this year was the decision of the Home Secretery to tighten up the laws concerning online trolling.This was due to concerted public pressure by the public .Well done to all detectorists who signed and encouraged people to sign the  various petitions.Thanks to WordPress we have limited the damage that trolls can do to us and  now people involved in this unsavoury activity will face the consequences  for the first time if they are based inside or outside the UK.

This year wasn’t all about highlights,we’ve had some setbacks too.I was personally disapointed with the recommendations of the working group but I will respect their professional decision.It will have an impact on membership going forward but I do agree it gives us a more controllable result that is favourable to the association.

Late in the year I recieved reports from some members saying that they had encountered difficulties  practicing their lovely  hobby ,in an area that they had done so for years ,by local council staff.I can’t say any more until this matter is investigated fully but we in the association will do the best we can to help out our members  in difficulty.

There was also some criticism of the association  website  to the effect that “it was nowt more than a glorified notice board”We’re all entitled to our opinions and constructive criticism is always welcome.I personally would like our website to talk about issues concerning  our lovely hobby in Derbyshire and in the Uk.But we have to be so so careful and respectful to other people ,and their views and opinions.Yes there is room going forward to cover one or two topics of interest each year  to members ,but they will require considerable research ,and very careful presentation to members and the public.Whilst this is going on I will have to cut back on day to day announcements .Personally we also have to do a lot of work online on finding online avenues of  secure and unrestricted access to the public  as I and other members are seeing subtle signs of reluctance and hostility from some forum/site administrators.

So a good year but a lot of planning and work  to do going forward ,and a lot of it up against a tight schedule .Hoping we all get some time to meet up this year and thanks for all members for helping to Make Derbyshire Safer .

sincerely John Potts

association spokesperson

 

 

MAKING DERBYSHIRE SAFER METAL DETECTING ASSOCIATION WORKING GROUPS FEASIBILITY REPORT ON THE POSSIBILITY OF SETTING UP ,RUNNING AND OUTCOMES OF A SCHOOLS METAL DETECTING SCHEME

As promised I have just recieved the report of the working group ,set up to examine this proposal.For security and data protection reasons I could not scan the report and post it on here .Names  and information which could be used to identify people and locations have been removed.But apart from that the report is complete and  word perfect.

Introduction

john  (Assocition spokesperson ) asked us each individually would we mind getting involved in a working group .Each person on the group was selected due to their experience in working in professions which are relevant to the subject.

We all agreed and  over the course of the Spring ,Summer we met up in selected local inns  throughout Derbshire to discuss and debate the proposal.Many thanks to the landlords of the (censored ) for allowing us to us their wifi and the use of tables .Sorry we did more talking than drinking !

john had asked us to discuss a proposal which was part of the Association ideas and suggestion scheme,which was approved by the members .Due to the seriousness and complexity it was decided to establish a working group to examine the proposal in detail.

BACKGROUND

Many traditional outdoor hobbies are suffering in Derbyshire ,if you go about especially in recent years ,it is quite noticable the reductions in numbers of participants in what were considered traditionally strong hobbies in the county.The numbers  of people taking part in Fishing,Bowling,Train&Bus Spotting, Pigeon Racing,Orienteering ,Amateur Archaeology and Historical societies are reducing and quite a number of clubs in these various hobbies have ceased to exist.Also the age profile of the people taking part in these activities is increasing with very few young people taking their place.Alternatively the growth and rise in numbers of participants in cycling ,walking,geocaching ,RC model aeroplane flying ,dowsing and wild food harvesting has increased and in some hobbies has done so spectacularly.Metal Detecting in Derbyshire has thankfully held its own and is  slowly increasing in participants  but this cannot be garaunteed going forward into the future.

EXAMINATION OF THE PROPOSAL

Setting up and running

Yes it was felt by us all in this group that it was possible to set up a school scheme.The working group felt that it was not simply a case of buying a few detectors and giving them to the schools .To do this would be irresponsible ,expose children to risk and leave the association and schools open to the possibility of future historical litigation .We all felt that a proper scheme would need to be set up to run and safely maintain the scheme . However it would involve significant costs and personnel to set up and run the scheme.A full/part time  manager would have to be employed to run and operate the scheme,liasing  with the various schools ,to ensure that safe procedures were being followed ,and to produce and create written and audiovisual material complimentary for the scheme.A permanent management committee would have to be set up to over see the manager .Numerous HR  Safegaurding and Safety policies would have to be established ,and this in itself is very expensive and time consuming.

The group also felt that the scheme would have to be set up as a stand alone scheme, where the material and equipment would be supplied and the programme would be run by the teachers .Many associations find it increasingly difficult to get volunteers and even volunteers from within their own organisation to run programmes as many people are risk averse .The working group did speak to several schools and they were quite receptive ,so long as the materials were checked  didn’t require PAT procedure and were approved by them.

( Spokespersons note )

PAT is a legal requirement where equipment has to be annually checked for safety and safe  running.It is quite a significant cost to schools.It mostly applies to mains powered equipment .As our detectors are very safe and battery powered PAT would not be required

On the matter of insurance most schools contacted said they participants would be covered by the schools own insurance policy.

It was noted that it would cost a significant amount of money to put one good metal detector in each school in Derbyshire

Beneficiaries of the scheme

Yes it was agreed by all that if such a scheme was set up and run correctly then the numbers taking part in the hobby would take a huge jump forward.It would not happen straight away but it would certainly be noticable after 10 years but it could create what one working group member described as a TIME TEAM EFFECT.

The best way to describe  the Time Time Effect is to explain what happened when this great and lovely programme was first aired on Television.It was a quality programme  which came out at the right time before people were all consumed by their phones and social media ,which captured the public imagination in archaeology.The problem was that the producers didn’t foresee what would happen when there was no society /club infrastructure to positively harness this enthusiasm.Most post millennial metal detectorists were inspired to go into metal detecting as a result of this programme ,but if they had the opportunity and the infrastructure was there . perhaps most might have gone into amateur archaeology instead !

The working group feels that this situation could happen again with our Schools Detecting Scheme and that Centurion clubs, rally organisers ,Pop up clubs ,Mega-Rallies and detector dealers who don’t support the hobby positively  would benefit

(Spokespersons note.   centurion club is a term used amongst ourselves to quickly identify metal detecting clubs and associations which have over 80 members )

The environment would significantly improve in areas where metal detecting is allowed for wildlife and people as so much heavy metals ,rubbish ,drug equipment would be removed

However the working group also felt that organisations and other groups which  hold views contrary to our Association could benefit more than us.

Decision of the working group.

It is the working groups honest  and collective  professional opinion that for cost and outcome reasons that the association should not pursue the idea any further regarding the setting up of a schools metal detecting scheme for Derbyshire.Our small association has not got the money / volunteer commitment to set up and run such a scheme.It was felt that national metal detecting organisations would be better placed to start and run such a scheme as they have the resources we don’t have.

Recommendation of the working group

The group feels that a better and a more positive controlled outcome would be to encourage members to get their own grandchildren ,children involved and that when membership vacancies become available priority should be given to these young people to try and become members

 

NOVEMBER NOTES

Just on here to make a few announcements for the benefit of association members that I might not see before Christmastide.

our lovely Linda in Derby has asked for all copies of our free to read metal detecting magazines  that are in circulation to be returned before the first of  December .Linda needs these back as  she passes them all on to deserving detectorists who don’t have access to these magazines .Hopefully all magazines will be passed back in near pristine condition so that the free magazine scheme continues to be self financing.

Christmastide is coming and we are giving people a chance to prepare their donations of old coins and keys and monies to the various charities that we endorse.Please remember that not all charities and religious organisations  are supportive to metal detecting as many genuine detecting requests have been refused .Were very keen to ensure that only charities and religious organisations which are supportive to our lovely hobby,recieve our donations.

The report of the working group on starting a  schools metal detecting scheme in Derbyshire should be with me soon.The final wording is being prepared or so i  am informed.

Thankfully  at long last members are submitting their choices of Metal Detector which merit the associations serious consideration as a possible free to use metal detector for all members.Models suggested are the following

Detech Chaser

Whites MXT

XP Deus “full version”

Minelab Safari

Fisher F75 “ltd edition”

Whites VX3

Garrett AT Pro

Minelab Etrac

Garrett GTI 2500 “and accessories”

Laser Hawkeye

Technetics T2 “limited edition version”

Minelab Equinox

Whites Spectra V3I

please note this is not a conclusive list as some members have yet  to make their suggestions.For those that do please take care not to use online videos to base your suggestions as so many video posters have been “nobbled ” by vested interests.Thanks to all those people who so far have submitted their suggestions.

I should be on here before the end of the month to post the report of the working group.Till then take care and good hunting

john Potts

association spokesperson

 

 

 

AUTUMN ROUNDUP

The summer and autumn of 2017 has been a very good one for the association and its members.We have all been busy in work but it’s still good to meet up and keep in touch with each other.A very big thank you to all members,independent detectorists and to the other clubs who observed and respected our annual solemn commeration.It was a great comfort to the families and friends of the victims that they have not been forgotten

Just to do a bit of housekeeping now Members have been asking how is free association machine fund going.Well there has been a bit of a decline in donations ,I don’t know why,is it due to brexit people tightening their belts ?.The current status of the fund is £595.95 p.Its ever so slowly creeping in the right direction.On a related topic members need to decide when is the cut off date for new applicants.In my opinion it should be fair so that it gives applicants two chances of becoming members.We also have to remover that we have two people going through the probationary process at the moment.So feedback would be welcome on this one !

I know the working group have been informally meeting to discuss the possibility of starting a Schools metal Detecting scheme for Derbyshire.I have been lead to believe that they will be ready to give their feasibility report by Christmastide.It will be published on the Association website.

Members also are reminded that they need to do their homework on the various detector models in order to help us select the most appropriate metal detector for the association, when we eventually have enough raised to buy one !.Again please don’t use YouTube reviews as nearly all video posters have been nobbled by vested interests

corrsepondance has been quite light ,I will be contacting members in the Derby/Matlock area over some detecting corrsepondance  recieved.

Work is slowly ongoing on the ideas selected competition….it’s going to take more than a year to complete these I’m afraid.

Members and viewers may observe a few disclaimer notices around the site regarding ,endorsements and sponsorship.It has come to our attention that individuals and metal detecting  groups are recieving substantial amounts of money through product,organisation endorsements, sponsorships and travel remittances ,from metal detecting companies and organisations.At the moment we don’t have a restriction on members in this area but i personally would like to introduce this into our membership rules for 2018.All feedback and opinions welcome on this one.

finally I wish to thank our very generous landowner for the use of the clubland this summer.It came in really handy as crops were in a month early.Were hopefully going to expand our free clubland further in the coming months.Fingers crossed on that one.

john Potts

spokesperson

2017 ANNUAL SOLEMN COMMERATION WEEKEND IN DERBYSHIRE

This is the time of year when us as individuals and as an Association pause to remember the victims and their families of the Tunisia Terrorist attacks.We politely ask other  Associations /clubs and individual detectorists to join us in our solemn  commeration  when we respectfully take time out from detecting to think and remember these lovely people.We all decided that this was the nicest way for us to remember them.

This year we politely ask all detectorists  as a mark of respect to the victims and their families to abstain from detecting in Derbyshire from and on the the 23 June -25th  June  2017

last years weekend was observed brilliantly and we didn’t recieve one report of any club or individual detectorist being active that weekend,from the public.

we also wish to take this time to extend our sympathy to the families and friends of the victims ,and the injured of the Manchester and London Terrorist attacks.

Individually and as a Metal Detection Association we also wish to offer our sincere condolonces to the Family and friends of  Archaeologist Hannah Bladon from Derbyshire who was also a victim of the recent terrorist attack in Israel.We also extend our sympathy to her archaeological colleagues  in Birmingham and Derbyshire.

We have done our best to advertise our solemn commeration weekend in the newspapers and online .Sadly we have encountered some negitive online comments and we have had to take down these online notices because it would be very upsetting  for the families and survivors of these attacks if they saw some of the responses  left.I can’t really make any more comments about this as this matter and the individuals involved are being traced and being  investigated by the authorities.

Hoping that all Detectorists/Metal Detecting  Associations and Clubs  in Derbyshire will join with us in observing our solemn  annual  rememberance for the victims ,injured and their families and friends.

sincerely John Potts

Association Spokesperson

SUMMER IN SPRINGTIME

After a bit of gentle badgering after a meet up on our clubland I have finally gotten around to announcing our ideas survey results,and to do a bit of housekeeping whilst I’m at it.

its been like summer in spring and the crops are in at least a month early in some places,so it will get busier on our free to use clubland from now on.Remember our landowner will be watching and please observe all our rules.I look forward to meeting up with most of you there during the actual summer.

we recieved £25 towards our free machine fund .Thank you to all concerned.Total is now slowly creeping up and is at £529.75. Well done to all.Lets hope brexit does not affect donations too much

we have had some interesting correspondence over the last few months.We have been contacted by Mr Anthony Poulton Smith a respected English Countryside Author .We have also been asked to take part in a land survey in Tibshelf in order to try and find England’s first underground oil pipeline.Ive just checked our current machine register and Sadly we couldn’t help the landowner as quite simply our metal detectors are just not powerful enough to go that deep.We also have been contacted by Derbyshire County Council. All correspondance has been passed on to  association members confidentially.

Our ideas survey results are in and selected by raffle, and done one the first day of Spring,All those members who voted for idea  number 8 had their next choice selected instead.As Linda has already agreed to keep our free metal detecting magazine scheme going for another year .In no particular order the ideas and objectives chosen for the coming year were as follows.

Idea no5……. which is the local government idea

idea no2 ………Schools metal detecting scheme for Derbyshire

idea no 6….. licencising &ambulence cover for paid metal detecting rallies consisting of over 3 people in Derbyshire.

some great ideas there which in my opinion make take a lot longer than a year to complete.

work has already started on idea no 6 and correspondence has started which will hopefully lead to a meeting with Derbyshire County Council Officials/Councillors

It is my opinion that a working group needs to be established to pursue idea number 2, as it needs to be established in a very careful and safe manner for everyone concerned.

looking forward to hear all your ideas and feedback.

sincerely John